Sunday, March 25, 2012

D.T.R


Matthew 7:21-23
21 "Not everyone who calls out to me, 'Lord! Lord!' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. 22 On judgment day many will say to me, 'Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.' 23 But I will reply, 'I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God's laws.'NLT

Are you a follower of Jesus?
Reading a new book, the first chapter really made me think. Think back to when you were on your first date and the person you were dating wanted to have the D.T.R. talk with you…… you know the talk "where do you see this relationship going?" That talk would make some people run and some stay.
Define the relationship
Let's say you are in the back of a restaurant sitting by yourself eating a little snack and drinking coffee. Just imagine for a moment and picture Jesus walking in and He comes back to where you are and sits down with you. You feel awkward so you try a little small talk to break the ice and ask Jesus to turn your coffee into wine. Jesus looks at you like He used to look at Peter and before He can answer you realize you forgot to pray over your food. So you start praying and your feeling nervous but you continue to pray when you realize the prayer you just said was a quote from a movie (that is what the book said)
You stop praying and Jesus immediately skips the small talk and gets right to the point. He looks you right in the eye and says, "It is time we define this relationship" He wants to know how you feel about Him. Is your relationship with him exclusive? Is it just a casual weekend thing or has it moved past that?
How would your relationship with Him be defined? What exactly is your level of commitment? I am sure Jesus would have no problem clearly defining His relationship with you. He would not sugar coat it either.
I can tell you for me sitting in that coffee shop and listening to what he wants from me in a relationship would a little different than what I have actually been giving Him myself. I want to be on the same page as Jesus. I can honestly say I am not as committed to Jesus as I would like to think I am. So I have work to do. I will get there someday.  

If you had to write Jesus a letter defining your relationship with Him, how would it read?  I think some of you will ignore this question because you do not want to face reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment