Friday, March 23, 2012

23 pounds

1 Corinthians 3:16-17
Don't you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you? God will destroy anyone who destroys this temple. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.NLT

My devotion was out of 1 Cor. 3 so I read all the way to 7. I have wanted to write about this for a while, but have not been allowed to until today. The Lord has convicted me on numerous occasions since January 2009 about my weight and eating habits. This January He really got me. I am supposed to be around 215 to 220. On Feb. 12 this year I stepped on the scales at 268 (the most I have ever weighed in my entire life). In my mind I had a shift in my thinking. It was instantaneous and I felt new strength and I knew it was on. The Lord had been showing me through many people and His word what I needed to do. Three years ago I fasted for 40 days without food for my marriage. I also found out during that time it was about my eating and discipline as well. I got down to 220 and stayed there for a while. I let the sin creep back into my life very slowly.

Discipline ……… what a strong word. I have noticed that since I have developed discipline in my eating it is carrying over into other areas of my life. Today I weigh 245 (23 pounds lost) and I am on my way down 220 at least. I am not eating special foods I am not doing HCG. I am not doing weight watchers. What I am doing is eating right and not stuffing my face. I have stopped drinking DR. Pepper and eating fast food. What has made the biggest difference I feel is where I am getting my strength. My prayer life and time with the Lord plays a huge part in my life. I do not eat over 2000 calories a day where I was eating 4500 to 5500 a day. Am I doing this for me? Yep. More importantly though I am doing it for Him.

One morning I got really convicted. I felt like I heard "Kevin how do you speak to someone about how they are living when you live in gluttony and have NO discipline in your own life? How?"

How do you answer that question?

1 Corinthians 6:19
Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself
,NLT

7 comments:

  1. Good stuff...you can even be at your target weight and tear down your temple, you are correct, it's all about discipline...thank you for sharing "Slim"
    Sir John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kee, that is a strong encouragement to me. I was down to 240 pounds by last June, from 315 pounds. I am now 290 today. Bad eating habits and I too have been convicted by my eating habits and choices.

    I will encourage myself to eat right and the way I know I should, which is actually simple, fruits and vegetables, of which I truly enjoy eating, but the flesh loves ice cream, little Debbie, and candy bars. I will CHAZAQ and do this. It is time and your message only confirms I have been playing around and not obeying what I know to do in my spirit, simply eat right and treat this body as the Temple of the Holy Spirit, and stop grieving the Holy Spirit with wrong eating choices.

    And this encouragement is right down practical alley! Great stuff.

    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  3. kevin,

    about 3 weeks ago my wife and I started a workout program, it was hard and is hard, but I felt age hit me I work a lot , run kids everyday, drink too much beer I had no stamina. the workout and a major change in what I ate everyday helped, cut the beer out to every now and then Feel like the old mark, I am His temple and I was destroying it, Father please forgive me.

    great word

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. So powerful and correct
    Our witness is affected by every aspect of our life
    In prep for Fire Worship I fasted
    I wanted to lose weight and had to battle the enemy's suggestion that the fast was to lose weight
    When I asserted that it was for Father's glory it became easy
    And I have been blessed to lose 26 pounds so far and my knees which have been killing me feel great
    Control of King Stomach is a Challange but worth it

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kee. I really needed to hear that. God told me to protect my temple at Quest but I haven't been listening. I appreciate your honesty.

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one area I may be of assistance. I’ve lost 120lbs over the last 2 years by staying away from carbs. Stopped eating anything white or yellow and tried to keep carb intake to no more than 20 carbs a day. The cool thing about this is I can eat as much protein as I want. Steak, pork, chicken, fish. I do not eat anything breaded and fried. Eating fried chicken for example, is fried with no breading. Many times I will marinate a bunch of wings in soy sauce and then deep fry like at the Chinese restaurants. Seafood boiled, like shrimp, crabs, and crawfish always is a great time because you can eat a ton of it. Always a salad, big and full of all types of raw veggies. Use Blue cheese dressing because cheese is a protein and you can have that as well. Remember, carbs turn to sugar when digested so eating a baked potato is like drinking a large Dr Pepper.

    Sir Marc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey,

    You've gone past preaching to medaling. I want to tell you to shut up but I know it's not just you talking.

    Thanks,

    Doug

    PS - Your reading my mail.

    ReplyDelete