Sunday, April 24, 2011

Your tone

So I am reading this devotion this morning. Kind of skipping around and I read May 31st. The week is about watching your words. I struggle in this area, like a lot of people do. What got my attention was this. Have you ever been in an argument with your spouse and the words were flying. You were being very loud or yelling and then the phone rings. Two things happen ….. One you make a decision right then to answer or not to answer. Two, you know if you do answer then you have to change your tone right then. You cannot answer the phone in the same way you were yelling at your spouse. Right? (Unless you want to look like a complete idiot …. Which you were already looking like a complete idiot by yelling at your spouse.) So you take a deep breath, and you pick up the phone, and say hello and you say "Oh not much just having a chat with my wife." LIAR! Now what have you done? You have lied to the other person on the phone and have shown your spouse that you CHOSE to yell at her. Think about that for a while. Believe me I am as guilty at this as I can be. Are you? Do you choose to yell at your kids? You're Spouse? If I talked to my friends the way I talk to my wife sometimes or my kids back in the day I would not have any friends. I don't think 31 and 32 are asking I think it is a command. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. 32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. Ephesians 4:31-32

Thanks Kevin

1 comment:

  1. Read James lately? James 3:9 truly convicted me when we were preparing for Quest - "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness." I cannot tell you how many times I am guilty of spewing filth out of my mouth at another driver on the highway and then this verse comes to mind. I feel so low and repent, but it is a continuing struggle. That small little tongue!

    ReplyDelete