Sunday, November 26, 2017

Read James lately?

James 2.5 May I have your full attention on this issue my dear brothers, faith in who you really are according to 1your original identity is the real measure of your wealth; you might be poor according to the standards of this world but according to God you possess your allotted portion which is the kingdom of his promise to those who love him. (The word, 1eklegomai, comes from ek, a preposition denoting origin, and lego, meaning to speak; thus, the original blueprint-word, logos.)

James 2.5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? ESV

Why is this so hard to understand that my wealth comes from my identity.  Even the first part of this passage literally got my full attention because that's what he says "may I have your full attention."

Am I understanding this correctly?   that when he says your original identity is the real measure of your wealth and if your not sure who you are in Christ then it could be a real struggle walking in faith.

I paused and then read on further and then I got to this passage which I think is a great follow-up to what I wrote yesterday.  

James 2:8 Scripture confirms that the law of the kingdom is fulfilled in you realizing the same value in your neighbor as you would see in yourself; this is what doing the word is all about, and it makes beautiful poetry. (Lev 19:18; Lk 10:27, Mt 22:37-40. By not forgetting what manner of person you are, you will not forget what manner of person your neighbor is according to the mirror principle.)

Could this mean that when I forget who I am in Christ.   I start seeing people not the way Christ sees them, but I start seeing them through whatever filter I choose to look at them through.


No comments:

Post a Comment