Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Philippians 1:21

My Unstoppable Determination for His Holiness. "Whether it means life or death-it makes no difference!" (Philippians 1:21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better.) Paul was determined that nothing would stop him from doing exactly what God wanted. But before we choose to follow God's will, a crisis must develop in our lives. This happens because we tend to be unresponsive to God's gentler nudges. He brings us to the place where He asks us to be our utmost for Him and we begin to debate. He then providentially produces a crisis where we have to decide— for or against. That moment becomes a great crossroads in our lives. If a crisis has come to you on any front, surrender your will to Jesus absolutely and irrevocably. Oswald C.

Isn't it just like us to have to have a crisis in our life before we have a come to Jesus meeting? I would like to think that I stay close enough to Him that this does not have to happen. I would be fooling myself to think that. Reality is there are times when I think I know better than the Lord on what is happening in my life. I think to myself, that is not an open door and I will shut that door myself. Then the door will open again, because the Lord is gracious and I am stubborn. Below is what I have written before which I think falls under the same lines as what is being talked about above.

When I choose that path most of the time it is because I think I can handle the situation on my OWN!  Then the question comes up that is always asked of me.  "how is that working for ya?"I hate that question because my answer is always,  "it isn't!"  I say all of that to share with you a little nugget on surrender. Surrender is always a tough one for me as well.  What is the worst thing that could happen if you surrender?

Here is what  François Fenelon the Archbishop of Cambria said in the 17th century.  He was the spiritual advisor to Louie the 14th.  He said this in a letter to the King about surrender.  There is more in the letter but this is the main point.

Let me tell you what real surrender is.  It is simply resting in the love of the Lord, as a little baby rests in his mother arms.  A perfect surrender must even be willing to quit surrendering, if that is what the Lord wants.  We renounce ourselves, and yet, God never lets us know when it is complete.  If we knew, it would no longer BE complete, for there is nothing that bolsters the ego quiet so much as knowing that it is fully surrendered.

Surrender consist, not in doing great, heroic deeds about which self can brag, but simply in accepting whatever God sends, and not seeking to change it.  Surrender is the source of true peace.

I have noticed for myself that when I have completely surrendered.  (at least when I think I have)  I feel at peace.  When I think I have surrendered something but I am restless about it and  I don't have peace,   then I am still holding on to it.  I don't like that. 

The more you look at what you are not;  the less you become who you are!

Kevin Gwyn

Any thoughts??????

No comments:

Post a Comment